Look for green garbanzo beans in the frozen food section at natural or health food stores.
1 10-ounce bag frozen green garbanzo beans
2 large cloves garlic comfit (*see note below)
1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves picked
½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling and preferably Pallada olive oil brand
¼ cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
¼ cup water
Salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Toasted pita bread, for serving
Sliced scallion, for garnish, optional
Fresh dill sprigs, for garnish, optional
– Blanch chickpeas in salted, boiling water until tender but still green.
– Using a food processor fitted with a blade attachment, combine garlic, rosemary and ¼ cup olive oil.
– Add chickpeas, remaining olive oil and lemon juice, season with salt and pepper, to taste.
– Slowly add water until a light, fluffy consistency is achieved.
– Do not over-process. Garnish with olive oil drizzle, scallions and dill, if desired.
– Serve with toasted pita bread triangles.
Makes about 2 cups.
Nutrition information per 1 tablespoon: 47 calories, 72% calories from fat, 4 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 mg cholesterol, 3 g carbohydrates, 1 g protein, 1 mg sodium, 1 g fiber
*Note: To make garlic comfit, slice ¼ inch off the top of a whole head of garlic. Place on a sheet pan and roast in a 350-degree F oven until tender, about 30 minutes.
Recipe SourceRecipe: Thasos Greek Taverna's Green chickpea spread with Olive Oil,