4 eggs, separated
250ml castor sugar
grated rind of 1 large lemon
250ml olive oil
5ml vanilla essence
45ml lemon juice
15ml baking powder
45ml extra castor sugar
250ml icing sugar
lemon juice to mix
– Beat egg yolks and castor sugar until thick and pale.
– Beat in the lemon rind, olive oil, vanilla and lemon juice.
– Sift the flour and baking powder and add to the creamed mixture with the milk.
– Beat the egg whites until stiff, then beat in the extra castor sugar.
– Fold this into the creamed mixture.
– Pour the mixture into a well-greased 22cm ring pan.
– Bake at 160ºC for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
– Cool in the pan for 10 minutes before turning out.
– Remove and when cold drizzle with lemon icing.
ICING: Sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Add enough lemon juice to form a thick icing.
Recipe sourceRecipe: Lemon Olive Oil Cake,
Savantes ‘Skills Test’ to be used in ‘North American Extra Virgin Olive Oil Championship’