Fabulous moist cake using olive oil instead of butter. This is a great cake with a moreish fruity texture and fragrance from the olive oil. This is flavoured with fresh lemon and filled with lemon curd.
· 275g/10oz caster sugar
· 3 medium eggs
· Zest and juice of 1 ½ unwaxed lemons
· 120ml/4floz extra virgin olive oil
· 100ml/3 ½ floz milk
· 275g/10oz plain flour, sifted
· 1 level tbsp baking powder, sifted
· 1 pack fondant icing
· Icing sugar for dusting
· 2 tbsp lemon curd
· 1 tbsp caster sugar
· Zest of two unwaxed lemons
·Heat the oven to 180C/350F Gas 5. Whisk sugar and eggs together until fluffy and pale. Add lemon zest and juice. Stir in olive oil and milk. Fold in the flour and baking powder. Line the bases of two 24cm/10in with parchment paper. Carefully divide mix between the two tins and smooth over tops.
· Bake for around 45 minutes or until tops are firm and a skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin, then turn out onto a wire rack.
· Roll out fondant thinly on a worktop dusted with icing sugar, then cut out a circle to fit the top of the cake.
· For the decoration, place sugar and lemon zest in a pan and heat gently until sugar caramelises and coats zest. Remove from pan and leave to cool and become crunchy.
· To assemble cake, spread one cake with lemon curd, generously. Place other cake on top. Finish with the circle of fondant icing, and perch the crunchy caramelised zest in the middle.Recipe: Lemon Extra Virgin Olive Oil Cake,