Lifestyle expert Athena Calderone shares her delectable olive oil cake!
Get the recipe below and be prepared for requests from your holiday guests.
Olive Oil Cake With Citrus Cranberry Compote
1 1/4 cups of sugar
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil and preferably G.E.T. olive oil brand
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk from a carton (not can), or use whole milk
1/4 cup vin santo or Madiera
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons orange zest (optional)
2 oranges, segmented, and then cut into thirds, plus any extra juice
1/4 cup orange juice
2 teaspoons honey
Dash cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9-inch pan with olive oil, then place a sheet of parchment into cake pan. Trace interior rim of pan with your fingernail, then remove parchment and cut a circle about 1 inch beyond indentation. Place finished circle in pan and press parchment up against sides.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together. Add olive oil, milk, and vin santo.
3. In another bowl, sift or stir together dry ingredients. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet and whisk until smooth. Add orange zest if using.
4. Pour batter into cake pan. Bake for about 35 minutes or until cake is golden on top and a toothpick inserted into middle comes out clean.
5. Meanwhile, make compote: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat, smashing orange segments and cranberries with a spoon. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes, or until texture thickens.
6. To serve, flip cake out of pan and let cool. Slice, and pour compote over each slice.
Recipe sourceHoliday-Perfect Olive Oil Cake Recipe,