- The flavor of this spiced orange compote improves with time so make it a day ahead or the morning of your party. Serve chilled in a clear bowl so the colors show through. Makes: 10 servings Active Time: 35 minutes Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes NUTRITION PROFILE Low cholesterol...
The flavor of this spiced orange compote improves with time so make it a day ahead or the morning of your party. Serve chilled in a clear bowl so the colors show through.
Makes: 10 servings
Active Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 35 minutes
Low cholesterol | Low saturated fat | Low sodium | Heart healthy | High fiber |
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup mild-flavored Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 large eggs, at room temperature, separated (see Tip)
2 tablespoons freshly grated orange or Meyer lemon zest
1/3 cup fresh orange or Meyer lemon juice
5 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger, divided
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons confectioners’ sugar
Spiced Orange Compote, (recipe follows)
THIS RECIPE CALLS FOR:
Spiced Orange Compote
MORE HEALTHY RECIPE IDEAS
Healthy Custard Recipes
Valentine’s Day Dessert Recipes
Healthy Recipes for Fall Desserts
Last-Minute Holiday Dessert Recipes
Healthy Recipes for Italian Desserts
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Spiced Orange Compote
Vanilla-Kirsch Panna Cotta with Cherry Compote
Orange Compote with Date-Walnut Wontons
Strawberry-Orange Compote with Cardamom Syrup
Pumpkin Cake with Dried Cranberries
Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil an 8-inch round cake pan (see Variation), line with parchment paper and oil the parchment.
Stir together honey, oil, egg yolks, zest, juice and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger in a medium bowl. Sift whole-wheat pastry flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Beat egg whites with an electric mixer on high in another medium bowl until soft peaks form, 1 to 2 minutes.
Stir the honey mixture into the flour mixture with a wooden spoon. Gently fold in the egg whites with a rubber spatula until they are well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
Bake the cake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Transfer the pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the pan to loosen the cake and turn it out onto the rack. Let cool completely.
Just before serving, sift sugar evenly over the top of the cake and garnish with the remaining 2 tablespoons ginger. Serve with Spiced Orange Compote on the side.
TIPS & NOTES
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, tightly wrap in plastic wrap and hold at room temperature for up to 1 day. | Equipment: 8-inch cake pan (see Variation), parchment paper
Tip: To bring an egg to room temperature, set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
Variation: You can use a 9-inch cake pan for this recipe, but you will get a thinner cake. Reduce the baking time to 25 to 30 minutes. You can find 8-inch cake pans at well-stocked kitchenware stores or online at surlatable.com.
Per serving: 280 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 5 g mono); 42 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 175 mg sodium; 189 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (80% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3.5
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 3 other carbohydrates, 1 fat
Recipe sourceVN:F [1.9.22_1171]VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Read More →
- The Decalogue of The Prevention A diet rich in olive oil, particularly extra virgin olive oil, may increase life expectancy because: 1. It can strengthen the immune system 2. It may have an anti-inflammatory effect 3. It can prevent cardiovascular diseases 4. It reduces cholesterol...
The Decalogue of The Prevention
A diet rich in olive oil, particularly extra virgin olive oil, may increase life expectancy because:
1. It can strengthen the immune system
2. It may have an anti-inflammatory effect
3. It can prevent cardiovascular diseases
4. It reduces cholesterol levels
5. It decreases the formation of free radicals and cellular aging correlated infarction
6. It reduces the risk of thrombosis and atherosclerosis
7. It can lower blood pressure
8. It may reduce the incidence of some cancers
9. It can improve the operating capacity of the pancreas
10. It can have a positive impact on the emergence of diabetesVN:F [1.9.22_1171]VN:F [1.9.22_1171]
Read More →